I want to start by saying welcome and thank you! In about April of 2011 I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. Ever since then I've been riding the roller coaster of the gluten free life. One of the things that helps me through is baking. I love trying new recipes and watching people enjoy my food. Now to Dad's birthday!
Dad has been struggling with some health issues for a while now. That being said I wanted to lay eyes on him and decided to make the trip out to Denver. Fortunately, my trip happened to land on his birthday! (Way to kill two birds with one stone :)) When asking Dad what kind of cake he wanted for his birthday he automatically responded gluten free! After reminding him he's not gluten free ;-) he explained it'd be no fun to eat cake by himself. What a trooper! With that in mind I knew my cupcakes had to be good! Dad's a snickers lover, so with that inspiration I decided on chocolate cupcakes with salted caramel frosting. Holy cow. Yum.
If you haven't already discovered Kimg Arthur's gluten free mixes you are missing out! These are the most moist cupcakes I've ever had, gluten free or full! Side note: due to parents living at such a high altitude I added an extra egg... Perfection.
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/gluten-free-chocolate-cake-mix
To top them off I consulted good ol Pinterest and found this wonderful recipe. http://kimberlytaylorimages.com/?s=salted+caramel+frosting&submit=Search
(Scroll down for the frosting)
The result was mouth watering!
Feedback:
The caramel recipe made almost exactly a cup.
I suggest making about 1/2 the frosting recipe and saving some caramel to drizzle on top. However, I didn't have a piping bag so...
I wish I could have brought the left overs home with me. No worries though, I ate a jumbo before I left. :)

HI Caroline!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your blog! It will be fun experimenting with GF baking ideas together. To the rest of you along for this ride with Caroline, I'm Vicki (Caroline's mom) and I can add a giant Amen to how amazing Caroline's birthday cupcakes for her dad were!! I am amazed at how moist they were! And they stayed moist for....well longer then I should have still be devouring them!! Also, something that seems to be an issue for me with with lots of GF baking is the grainy texture you get with some recipes and products....the King Arthur cupcakes/cakes have a wonderful, smooth texture! Yum!! Delicious, Caroline!! Thanks for all your hard work to make your daddy's birthday so special!
PS....The picture of the 1-2-3 Gluten Free pumpkin bars looked really yummy, too. What did you think?